Grade V and above
What are Olympiads?
- Regular quantitative and qualitative assessments in the national and international level is imperative in this competitive present world to build up the scientific and IT talent pool.
- Olympiads are school level competitive examinations that are based on school syllabus and are conducted through various independent organizations.
- The SOF (Science Olympiad Foundation) is a non-profit and educational organization, based in New Delhi that promotes science, mathematics, general knowledge, introductory computer education and English language skills among school children in India through various Olympiad examinations.
- It was established in the year 1996 and is affiliated with CBSE, British Council, Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Techfest, TCS Star Sports (formerly).
- SOF organizes 6 Olympiads each year. During the academic year 2016 – 2018, 45000 schools from more than 1400 cities registered and millions of students appeared for the 6 Olympiad exam. Olympiads were conducted across 30 countries.
- Currently about 5 lakh students participate in many types of Olympiads. For the future, SOF Olympiad has several more innovative programs lined up, which promises to bring about a sea change in the approach to education and preparation for competitive programs.
- Below are the various Olympiads offered by SOF Olympiad along with critical details like their syllabus, marking scheme, benefits and much more.
Types of Olympiads
IGKO (International General Knowledge Olympiads)
- Conducted by the SOF, IGKO endeavors students to develop interest in current affairs and general knowledge.
- This helps students to span their knowledge way out of the realms of text books and course curriculum.
- It aims an all-round development in academics as well as on the personal forefront.
- The students of classes 1 to 10 can participate in SOF IGKO.
- Participants are ranked on the basis of the marks obtained in the test.
- Students can judge themselves at four different levels, the school, at city level, at state level and at international level.
IEO (International English Olympiad)
- The international English Olympiad commonly known as IEO is a one of a kind examination that tests the knowledge of English among the students in India. The exam only tests you on topics related to the English language.
- Only the participating schools hold and conduct the examination. And the exam for the year 2018-19 is to be held on 4th October and 23rd.
- IEO has now become a two level exam and a nominal participation fee is charged. This exam is conducted for students studying in classes 1st to 12th.
- The IEO question paper is prepared by the British council and is evaluated by the SOF. Being a multiple level examination, students are selected on merit basis and the ranks are given based on the marks obtained.
- You should be in any class from 1-12 of the participating schools to take part in the IEO.
- SOF does not encourage and permit individual participation, a minimum of 10 students from every school should participate.
IMO (International Mathematical Olympiad)
- The International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) is the world championship mathematics competition for high school students and is held annually in a different country.
- Students of classes 1 to 12 are eligible to appear for the 1st level Olympiads. There is no other eligibility criterion like minimum marks.
- Top 5% of students’, class wise, who appear for the 1st level exam, zone wise top 25 rank holders, class toppers from each participating schools, qualify for the second level of this exam.
- The SOF IMO is open to students from class 1 to 12 and you have to register for the exam from your school itself, because IMO does not accept individual participation from any other mode.
- A nominal fee is charged for participation and you will be exempted from this fee if you are an Indian student whose parent was martyred during defence operations or are suﬀering from any major physical disability.
- Note that the admit cards are a compulsory documents to be carried to the exam centers.
NSO (National Science Olympiad)
- National Science Olympiad commonly known as NSO is an annual scholarship exam that is aimed at cultivating logical ability and scientific reasoning among the students.
- This exams instills scientific curiosity and vigor in young students through competitive exams that are conducted on two levels each year.
- It has been conducted since 1996 and students in this exam are tested on subjects such as Science, mathematics and logical reasoning. It is conducted in partnership with Techfest.
- Students from class 1 to 12 can participate in the examination. However, you must be a student of SSC, ICSE or CBSE boards.
- Based on your performance in the first level exam, you are given a rank. This rank determines whether you qualify for the second level exam or not.
- The top 5% of students (class-wise) who appear for the first level exam, the top 25 rank holders state-wise and the class toppers from each participating school are eligible for the second level of exam.
NCO (National Cyber Olympiad)
- The National Cyber Olympiad or NCO is a global search competition that nurtures cyber talent amongst the school-going generation. It aims at inspiring the younger generation to increase their knowledge related to comprehension of issues related to computers as about testing their aptitude in these streams.
- This international-level competition focuses on Logical & Analytical, Mental Ability, and Reasoning in computers and IT.
- This exam creates awareness about computer education and provides early exposure to computer related world.
- The NCO is a single level exam and was the second Olympiad to be conducted by the SOF.
- It has been conducted since 2000 and students from classes 1to 12 can participate in the examination.
- It is conducted in partnership with TCS iON, a branch of TCS.
ICSO (International Company Secretaries Olympiad)
- International Company Secretaries Olympiad or commonly known as ICSO is an examination whose sole goal is to promote subjects like Science, Mathematics, English, Computer Education, General Knowledge and Professional Courses.
- It is a single level examination that is conducted in partnership with The Institute of Company Secretaries of India, which is basically a statutory body under the administrative control of The Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
- All students belonging to Classes 11 and 12 from Commerce, Science and Humanities stream are eligible to appear for the International Company Secretaries Olympiad (ICSO).
- The SOF ICSO is conducted on two dates and every school is free to select a date for the SOF ICSO as per its convenience.
- There are registration charges for the examination and that amount is payable if you belong to a school in India, Nepal, Bangladesh or Bhutan. However you are exempted from the fee if you are suﬀering from any major physical disabilities or if your parent was martyred during defence operations.
Knowledge Planet prepares students for Olympiads as part of our Foundation Program. Get in touch with us to know more.
Our Latest Blog
Get your Child the
Knowledge Planet Advantage !